Patient Assessment in EMS
Concrete Approach to
Assessing Patients and Situations in the Field and Presents the
Relationship Between Assessment Findings and Pathology
By Bob Elling, Kirsten Elling
- First Edition
A concrete approach to assessing patients and situations in the
field that presents the relationship between assessment findings and
pathology in an informal yet informative manner.
Includes detailed descriptions of physical exams and
history-taking methods as relevant to respiratory, cardiac,
neurological, abdominal and psychological traumas.
Case studies and Web activities are integrated throughout to
provide a realistic context and enhance material.
- Includes chapters on pediatric, obstetric and geriatric
assessment, as well as cultural aspects of assessment
- Ties all aspects of assessment together to create the big
- Web activities and case studies offer realistic scenarios and
- Chapter 1: Overview to Patient Assessment.
- Chapter 2: Listening to Patients.
- Chapter 3: Sizing Up the Scene.
- Chapter 4: The Initial Assessment.
- Chapter 5: Making a Priority Decision.
- Chapter 6: Baseline and Serial Vital Signs.
- Chapter 7: The Focused History and Physical Examination of the
- Chapter 8: The Rapid Trauma Examination.
- Chapter 9: The Focused History and Physical Examination of the
- Chapter 10: The Rapid Physical Examination.
- Chapter 11: The Detailed Physical Examination.
- Chapter 12: The Focused History and Physical Examination of the
- Chapter 13: The Focused History and Physical Examination of the
- Chapter 14: The Focused History and Physical Examination of the
Patient with a Neurological Problem.
- Chapter 15: the Focused History and Physical Examination of the
Patient with Abdominal Pain.
- Chapter 16: The Focused History and Physical Examination of the
Patient with a Behavioral Problem.
- Chapter 17: The Assessment Approach for the Pediatric Patient.
- Chapter 18: The Assessment Approach for the Pregnant Patient.
- Chapter 19: The Assessment Approach for the Elderly Patient.
- Chapter 20: The Ongoing Assessment.
- Chapter 21: Comprehensive Examination and Health Assessment.
- Chapter 22: Pulling It All Together.
- Appendix A: Assessment Pocket Tool.
- Appendix B: Standard Abbreviations.
- Appendix C: Skills Sheets for Focused Assessments.
- Appendix D: Practical Examination Skill Sheet for Patient
- Appendix E: Emergency Information Form For Children with Special
- Appendix F: Answer Key to Review Questions.
352 Pages -
8-1/2 x 11 in.
Hardcover, 352 pages
Principles of Patient Assessment in EMS