Rosemary Kilmer, W. Otie
Construction Drawings and Details
for Interiors serves as the essential reference for designers
preparing interior construction documents, explaining how to do a
new construction, remodeling, or installation project. In a highly
visual format, the book covers drafting fundamentals and
conventions; drawing types, plans, and schedules; and computer-aided
With expanded coverage of the
preparation and communication of construction documents in digital
formats, drawing interior perspectives, and more, the text also
serves as an invaluable study reference for the contract documents
section of the NCIDQ exam. A new companion Web Site supplies
template grids for schedules and contract documents for practice
This highly visual book:
- Includes such details as furniture, finishes, lighting, and
- Features authors drawings as well as those from practicing
- Covers drafting fundamentals and conventions; drawing types,
plans, and schedules; and computer-aided design.
- Addresses graphic language as a communication tool.
- Details the process of creating construction documents, the
use of computers, and various reproduction systems and
- Includes examples of both residential and commercial
- Is an essential reference for NCIDQ examination
About the Author:
W. OTIE KILMER, AIA, is an associate professor of interior design at
Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, and has taught drawing
and design for more than twenty years.
ROSEMARY KILMER, ASID, IDEC, is an associate professor of
interior design at Purdue University. During her career, she has
served on the board of directors for the NCIDQ.
The Kilmers head their own design practice, Kilmer and Associates,
an architectural and interior design firm
Table of Contents:
PART I: DRAWING, EQUIPMENT, AND FUNDAMENTALS.
- Drawing as Communication.
- Drafting Equipment and Its Care.
- Drawing and Drafting Fundamentals.
- Drawing Classification Systems.
PART II: CONTRACT DOCUMENTS.
- Construction Drawings, Specifications, and Contracts.
- Floor Plans.
- Specialty Drawings and Details.
- Finish Plans.
- Furniture Installation Plans.
- Furnishings and Equipment Plans.
- Reflected Ceiling and Electrical Plans.
- Mechanical and Plumbing Plans.
- Reproduction Methods and Computers.
Appendix A: MasterFormatTM Level
Two Numbers and Titles.
Appendx B: Section Format Outline.
Appendix C: Sample ADA Guidelines.
Appendix D: Abbreviations for Construction Drawings.
320 pages, Paperback
Published April 2009