Principles, Materials and Methods - 8th Edition
Cornerstone Construction Reference for Architects and Construction
Professionals for Over 50 Years
By H. Leslie Simmons
- 9th Edition
Standard Construction Reference for Over 50 Years
Get the updated industry standard for
a new age of construction
For more than fifty years, Olin's
Construction has been the cornerstone reference in the field for
architecture and construction professionals and students. This new
edition is an invaluable resource that will provide in-depth
coverage for decades to come. You'll find the most up-to-date
principles, materials, methods, codes, and standards used in the
design and construction of contemporary concrete, steel, masonry,
and wood buildings for residential, commercial, and institutional
use. Organized by the principles of the MasterFormat ® 2010 Update,
- Covers sitework; concrete,
steel, masonry, wood, and plastic materials; sound control;
mechanical and electrical systems; doors and windows; finishes;
industry standards; codes; barrier-free design; and much more
- Offers extensive coverage of the
metric system of measurement
- Includes more than 1,800
illustrations, 175 new to this edition and more than 200 others,
revised to bring them up to date
- Provides vital descriptive
information on how to design buildings, detail components,
specify materials and products, and avoid common pitfalls
- Contains new information on
sustainability, expanded coverage of the principles of
construction management and the place of construction managers
in the construction process, and construction of long span
structures in concrete, steel, and wood
The most comprehensive text on the
subject, Olin's Construction covers not only the materials and
methods of building construction, but also building systems and
equipment, utilities, properties of materials, and current design
and contracting requirements. Whether you're a builder, designer,
contractor, or manager, join the readers who have relied on the
principles of Olin's Construction for more than two generations to
master construction operations.
About The Author:
H. LESLIE SIMMONS, RA, CSI, is a construction consultant
and specifications writer with more than fifty years of professional
Table of Contents:
- A Tribute.
- Acknowledgments for the Eight Edition.
- Chapter 1. Design and Contracting Requirements.
- Chapter 2. Existing Conditions.
- Chapter 3. Concrete.
- Chapter 4. Masonry.
- Chapter 5. Metals.
- Chapter 6. Wood, Plastics, and Composites.
- Chapter 7. Thermal and Moisture Protection.
- Chapter 8. Openings.
- Chapter 9. Finishes.
- Chapter 10. Specialties.
- Chapter 11. Equipment.
- Chapter 12. Furnishings.
- Chapter 13. Special Construction.
- Chapter 14. Conveying Systems.
- Chapter 15. Fire Suppression.
- Chapter 16. Plumbing.
- Chapter 17. Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning
- Chapter 18. Electrical.
- Chapter 19. Communications.
- Chapter 20. Electronic Safety and Security.
- Chapter 21. Earthwork.
- Chapter 22. Exterior Improvements.
- Chapter 23. Utilities.
- Chapter 24. Properties of Materials.
- Chapter 25. The Metric System of Measurement.
Published December 2011